Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Onto Food


As many friends back on the east know, I'm obsessed with preparing food from scratch. Cooking is calming, it's my departure from being told what to do and creating what I want to. Traditional food from another country I might never visit, a plate from a restaurant I can't afford to get into? Bring it on! 

My adventures started when I first moved to Connecticut and had to learn to prepare single portion meals. I'm an advocate for letting nothing go to waste and not eating the same meal days in a row. Buying a pack of tortillas for a taco craving was out of the question. It started with flour tortillas, then pastas and when my garden exploded, to sauces and pickling. Eventually, this ambition brought me to butchering and preparing an entire pig for Christmas.

Failure is always an option, fortunately, mr. swine was not one of them. Half the fun is knowing things can go horribly wrong, and they do. The pizza below was one of them, I over reduced the sauce and desperately need to invest in a peel. Although slightly ugly, she was still delicious. 


Burrata ravioli. Fresh pesto from the basil in my garden (not pictured)
 

My first experience with corn tortillas, delicious chicken tacos.


Chicken thighs with fresh rosemary from the garden.


Locally hunted venison tenderloin in blueberry reduction.


And there is my July roundup. So whats next for August? Keizo Shimamoto's RAMEN BURGER! All the way from Brooklyn to Dallas, this culinary craze that has exploded onto the internet will be constructed in my kitchen and will be documented with better photography and shots of the process so I can share the experience and perhaps a recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment