Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pork Diaries, Part I

My parents rocked Christmas with these books on curing meats and other preserving techniques. Ruhlman's Charcuterie is a bible for the home cook interested in dabbling, while John's Pickles, Pigs & Whiskey brings it full circle with some incredible recipes. Both are terrific reads and worthy companion's to my growing collection.

I started this year flat broke, living off soup and chili from December while anxiously waiting for a paycheck. Obviously, the first thing I did was run out to buy a big ass slab of pork belly when it came. I wanted to get it from Rudolph's, my local butcher in Deep Ellum, but was an idiot and didn't call it in advance. Fortunately, we have a couple upscale grocers around DTX who carry heritage breeds and I scooped up 5 lbs. of Berkshire. The skin was already removed, so next time I'll plan ahead and order to spec.


The belly was split in half, one for bacon, the other for pancetta. All the other ingredients I had, with the exception of nutmeg and juniper. Previously, I scoured some pink curing salt back home from a local Mennonite stand, otherwise I would have had to order it online. 

All rubbed down, both needed a week to cure in the fridge. Patiently waiting, and waiting, and waiting...


I pulled them out on Sunday and gave a quick rinse down. Traditionally, bacon is smoked, but as I lack a smoker (for now), I opted for the oven method. As for the pancetta, it's lying on a rack in the fridge. Usually it's rolled and hung to dry but my apartment doesn't have the right conditions for dry aging and well, Moe cat will eat it. Yes, it will take longer in the fridge, but at least I won't be throwing away money because it spoiled or die of botulism.

The bacon turned out to be delicious and I'll post pictures of those beautiful beasts I get better lighting and the pancetta is finished. Until then, it's bacon in my belly!

No comments:

Post a Comment