Friday, September 20, 2013

Bake it 'til you make it

I finally did it. 

On Tuesday I baked myself a damn good loaf of bread. A thick crust that cracks when you tear into it, chewy on the inside and a flavor that competes with any of the artisanal stuff I've bought in the past year. I'm not claiming that I'm some incredible baker, but after many botched attempts in the past, it finally happened and I'm damn proud.

The success really belongs to my Le Creuset. When baked inside a dutch oven, the moisture from the dough is trapped and steams the outside of the bread, leaving you with that perfect crust. The rest of the process was straightforward, a simple recipe and a lot of rise time. I threw in an extra rise for increased flavor as I had the time and I like my bread a little sour.

For the better part of the week I've been feasting off the loaf. Either dipped in oil and seasoning or Rose's home made Zataar, it was incredible. Naturally, I made a couple sambos and think I may experiment with some french toast tomorrow morning.

As always, there's room for improvement and I look forward to the next batch. Deeper scores with more flour to dust the top, maybe experiment with some herb and cheese combos too. 'Til next time, stay hungry and get out there and do something this weekend people!


No comments:

Post a Comment